Why use our Grade 4 Practice Exam Papers
Grade 4 music theory sees the introduction of quite a few new topics and the exam format is quite different from the first three grades. So if you're taking an ABRSM Grade 4 Music Theory exam then we highly recommend sitting some practice exams before you take the actual test. This way you'll have a good idea of what to expect.
The grade 4 exams are also quite similar to the grade 5 music theory exams so taking some of these papers along side your grade 5 mock exams is very common and a code way to make sure you're prepared for anything ABRSM could throw at you.
Our Grade 4 Music Theory Exam Paper Pack contains 5 unique PDF mock tests to help you get to grips with everything that could come up in the ABRSM Grade 4 Music Theory exam. The papers are modelled on the actual grade 4 papers too so you can get used to the style of questions, difficulty and ansering questions within the time limit.
What types of questions are asked?
Each of our grade 4 music theory papers have been put together by painstakingly reviewing the ABRSM syllabus and the last 6 years of actual grade 4 exam papers to make sure it includes every type of question that could be asked. With over 160 exercises for you to get stuck into you’ll be more than prepared.
The types of questions that are asked are:
- - Adding missing time signatures to extracts (all simple and compound duple, triple and quadruple time signatures)
- - Questions on the breve, double dotted notes and their corresponding rests as well as duplets.
- - Adding missing bar lines to extracts
- - Adding missing rests to extracts
- - Identifying the letter names of marked notes including in the alto clef
- - Identifying the degrees of the scale of marked notes
- - Identifying the technical names of notes
- - Identifying and writing out harmonic and melodic intervals (up to one octave) but starting on any note and identifying their type
- - Adding the correct clef to given notes, scales and tonic triads in the treble, bass and alto clefs
- - Identifying and writing out named major key signatures (up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- - Identifying and writing out named minor key signatures (up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- - Identifying and writing out named major scales (up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- - Identifying and writing out named minor scales (harmonic and melodic minors up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- - Identifying and writing out chromatic scales
- - Identifying and writing out major and minor tonic triads (root position only) on the tonic, subdominant and dominant notes in any key up to 5 sharps and flats
- - Identidying the correct definitions of grade 4 performance directions
- - Rewriting an extract of music with the notes grouped and beamed correctly
- - Identifying and writing out various ornaments
- - Identidying the mistakes in an extract of music and rewriting it correctly
- - Rewriting an extract of music from simple to compound time and vice versa
- - Rewriting an extract of music with notes and rests of twice or half the value
- - Transposing an extract of music up or down an octave into a different clef (treble, bass and alto)
- - Answering questions about an extract of music including questions about standard orchestral instruments
This way you'll know what to expect in the real thing.
Model answers included
As well as all of the practice exams we have included all the model answers so you can mark the exams yourself to see where you're going wrong and improve.
No more relying on your teacher to mark them or buying additional answers papers.
100% money back guarantee
We stand behind all our products 100% and so for that reason all of our music theory resources come with a 30 day money back guarantee.
If you're not completely satisfied let us know why within 30 days of your purchase and if we can't make it right for you, we'll give you your money back. For more information you can read our refund policy.
In this download you get:
- Grade 4 Practice Exam A - 1.1 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam B - 0.8 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam C - 1.0 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam D - 0.8 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam E - 1.3 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam A Answers - 2.1 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam B Answers - 1.9 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam C Answers - 2.0 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam D Answers - 1.6 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam E Answers - 2.2 MB
The time limit for these mock exams is 2 hours.
Each paper contains 7 questions in the same format as the ABRSM exams.
They are specifically for the ABRSM Grade 4 syllabus but they'll still be useful no matter what examining board you're using.
All the model answers are included.
If you have any questions at all just get in touch and we'll be happy to help.
They come with a 30 day money back guarantee.