Grade 4 Music Theory Practice Papers
This is a digital download of five of our unique PDF Grade 4 Music Theory Practice Exams to help you, your child or your students prepare for and pass the 2019 ABRSM Grade 4 Music Theory Exams.
Grade 4 Music Theory Past Paper Samples
Here's some examples from our grade 4 music theory practice papers. We've put them together by analysing the last six years of ABRSM grade 4 past papers to help you be prepared for all the types of questions that could come up. Click here to go back and see the other music theory practice papers for different grades we have.
- PRODUCT DETAILS
- What's included
- More INFO
Why use our Grade 4 Music Theory Practice Papers Pack
Grade 4 music theory sees the introduction of quite a few new topics and the exam format is quite different from the first three grades. So if you're taking an ABRSM Grade 4 Music Theory exam then we highly recommend sitting some practice exams before you take the actual test. This way you'll have a good idea of what to expect.
The grade 4 exams are also quite similar to the grade 5 music theory exams so taking some of these papers along side is very common and a good way to make sure you're prepared for anything ABRSM could throw at you.
Our Grade 4 Music Theory Exam Paper Pack contains 5 unique PDF mock tests to help you get to grips with everything that could come up in the ABRSM Grade 4 Music Theory exam. The papers are modelled on the actual grade 4 papers too so you can get used to the style of questions, difficulty and answering questions within the time limit.
What types of questions are asked?
Each of our grade 4 music theory papers have been put together by painstakingly reviewing the ABRSM syllabus and the last 6 years of actual grade 4 exam papers to make sure it includes every type of question that could be asked. With over 160 exercises for you to get stuck into you’ll be more than prepared.
The types of questions that are asked are:
- Naming and writing out notes and their values as well as their corresponding rests
- Adding missing time signatures to extracts (all simple and compound duple, triple and quadruple time signatures)
- Questions on the breve, double dotted notes and their corresponding rests as well as duplets.
- Adding missing bar lines to extracts
- Adding missing rests to extracts
- Identifying the letter names of marked notes including in the alto clef
- Identifying the degrees of the scale of marked notes
- Identifying the technical names of notes
- Identifying and writing out harmonic and melodic intervals (up to one octave) but starting on any note and identifying their type
- Adding the correct clef to given notes, scales and tonic triads in the treble, bass and alto clefs
- Identifying and writing out named major key signatures (up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- Identifying and writing out named minor key signatures (up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- Identifying and writing out named major scales (up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- Identifying and writing out named minor scales (harmonic and melodic minors up to 5 sharps and flats as well as in the alto clef)
- Identifying and writing out chromatic scales
- Identifying and writing out major and minor tonic triads (root position only) on the tonic, subdominant and dominant notes in any key up to 5 sharps and flats
- Identifying the correct definitions of grade 4 performance directions
- Rewriting an extract of music with the notes grouped and beamed correctly
- Identifying and writing out various ornaments
- Identifying the mistakes in an extract of music and rewriting it correctly
- Rewriting an extract of music from simple to compound time and vice versa
- Rewriting an extract of music with notes and rests of twice or half the value
- Transposing an extract of music up or down an octave into a different clef (treble, bass and alto)
- Answering questions about an extract of music including questions about standard orchestral instruments
This way you'll know what to expect in the real thing.
All The Model Answers Included
As well as all of the grade 4 practice papers we have included all the model answers so you can mark the exams yourself to see where you're going wrong and improve.
No more relying on your teacher to mark them or buying additional answers papers.
In this download you get five unique grade 4 PDF mock exam papers:
- Grade 4 Practice Exam A - 1.1 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam B - 0.8 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam C - 1.0 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam D - 0.8 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam E - 1.3 MB
As well as all the model answers for these grade 4 mock exams:
- Grade 4 Practice Exam A Answers - 2.1 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam B Answers - 1.9 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam C Answers - 2.0 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam D Answers - 1.6 MB
- Grade 4 Practice Exam E Answers - 2.2 MB
The time limit for these mock exams is 2 hours.
Each paper contains 7 questions in the same format as the ABRSM exams.
They are specifically for the ABRSM Grade 4 syllabus but they'll still be useful no matter what examining board you're using.
All the model answers are included.
If you have any questions at all just get in touch and we'll be happy to help.
They come with a 30 day money back guarantee.
I purchased both grade 4 and grade 5 practice papers and have found these very helpful to prepare for my exams. Thank you.
Farhana Ahmed - Student, UK
I've been using your exam papers with my students for the last few weeks and I'm very pleased with them so far. Thanks.
Andrea Nelson - Teacher, UK
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
Our goal at Hello Music Theory is that you pass your exam. Our resources get really good feedback and have helped thousands of students to pass their exams. But if you're not happy with any part of your download and we can't make it right then we'll give you a full refund.
More on our refund policy.